Torrington man agrees to deadlines set for blight cleanup | Republican-American

< www.rep-am.com/news/news-local/2017/12/13/torrington-man-agrees-to-deadlines-set-for-blight-cleanup/ >
[image: Edward Kaczmarcyk Jr., of 492 Prospect St., Torrington, has reached an agreement with the city to clean up his blighted property by April 30, 2018. Bruno Matarazzo Jr. Republican-American]
Edward Kaczmarcyk Jr., of 492 Prospect St., Torrington, has reached an agreement with the city to clean up his blighted property by April 30, 2018. Bruno Matarazzo Jr. Republican-American
TORRINGTON – A Torrington Superior Court judge on Wednesday signed an agreement between the city and a Prospect Street homeowner that establishes a series of deadlines to clean up his blighted property in the new year.
Corporation Counsel Jaime M. LaMere and property owner Edward Kaczmarcyk Jr. agreed to the terms of a joint stipulation just hours before a trial was set to begin.
The city alleges Kaczmarcyk is storing junk at his property, including motor vehicles, household appliances, scrap and other debris, and has created an illegal, nonconforming junk yard in violation of a city ordinance.
The two-page stipulation lists deadlines Kaczmarcyk must meet in the coming months to clean up his property at 492 Prospect St. The earliest deadline is removing all junk from the front and side porches no later than Jan. 30, 2018; enclose, remove or register all unregistered vehicles by March 31; and remove all junk from the yard by April 30.
Kaczmarcyk also agrees to contact the city’s zoning enforcement officer on the first Monday of each month beginning in February to report on his progress and to schedule an inspection. LaMere said in court that the inspections will continue until the property is in compliance with zoning regulations.
After the hearing, Kaczmarcyk said he was happy with the agreement reached Wednesday.
If Kaczmarcyk fails to comply with the terms in the joint stipulation, the city again will go to court.
The city was prepared to go to trial to ask a judge to issue a permanent injunction that would require Kaczmarcyk to comply with city zoning regulations and clean up his property.
Earlier this year, the city sued Kaczmarcyk to comply with a cease-and-desist order that was issued in 2014 to remove all junk from the yard. Though some effort to clean up the property was made after the cease-and-desist order, the condition of the property deteriorated and was no longer in compliance, according to city officials.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply